Monday, December 6, 2010

Lancaster Arms: Still Can't Be Trusted

Well, it appears things never change at Lancaster Arms. Complaints are still being posted on this blog and throughout the Internet with great regularity, mostly involving the same ol’ thing: Chet Durda’s complete and total inability to operate his business in an honest and ethical manner.

The latest complaint, posted below, sounds all too usual…Lancaster is paid upfront based upon a promise to ship within a couple weeks, then MONTHS going by with delays, stalling tactics, excuses, and then outright belligerence towards customers when those customers complain about Chet Durda’s now famous (or is it infamous?) dishonesty.

From Calguns.net on December 2:

----------------

“First off, my good friend bought a stamped AK-47 and stamped AK-74 from Lancaster. Also, he had another kit that Lancaster built on their milled receiver and different/custom stock. It took 6 months for the kit gun, but he was told up front about it. He ordered the other two 4 months later, and at 6 months, after all kinds of BS as to why the AK's were not sent immediately, all three guns showed up at his FFL without any notice from Lancaster that they were on the way.



When they arrived, poorly packed, they DID turn out to be nice guns. The AK-74 is a pleasure to shoot, and according to Lancaster, has an E. German 5.45 x 39 barrel, with remainder being Bulgy. After I shot it, I wanted a MILLED receiver AK-74--model 7471M.



I ordered on 9/16, and foolishly overnighted a Cashier's Check to them. That should have sent up red flags galore, but I wanted the gun, and ignored them. Shane also told me I could deduct shipping cost from the gun cost, so I sent money for the gun and additional magazines. Shane also told me all parts were in stock, so my gun would be built and ready to go quickly.



Chet signed for the USPS envelope on 9/17. Lancaster never contacted me. I emailed them on 9/23--no response. I called them five days later on Tuesday 9/28 and Shane told me that my gun would go out on 10/1 so I should call back on 9/30 for tracking. I called to get no answer and again, no gun. On 10/9 I received an e-mail from Chet responding to the 9/23 email, acting as if he'd never heard of me or that Shane had never promised me a delivery date earlier. The email said I'd be notified by phone or email as to the ship date withing the week. That never happened, thus broken promise #2.



All throughout this, I've been calling them to no avail--i.e. phone system down, hours of operation changed, illness, etc. On 10/14/2010 since I received no contact as per the email, I contacted Lancaster and informed the secretary this was the third message I’d left for Shane or Chet that had not been returned. She called back approximately 30 mins later and told me my rifle was being test fired and would go out on the following Monday, 10/18/2010. That was broken delivery date/lie #3.



On 11/01/2010 I called Lancaster and spoke with Chet. I was told my rifle to be shipped out on 11/04/2010, and he needed to verify my FFL. This was done. I spoke to his secretary in a second call to confirm the FFL. Guess What??? Broken Delivery Date/Lie #4!



On 11/18/10 I spoke to the secretary at 12:42. She said Shane and Chet were out after putting me on hold for 10 minutes. I told her of the broken deliver dates, and that I want the gun or the money, and that I’m perfectly willing to follow legal routes to get my money. She said Chet would be in in 2 hours, he would be given the message: no returned call. On 12/02/10 I spoke to secretary at 1551. I asked for Shane or Chet, she said she’d see if they were in. I was on hold for 8 minutes, then she said neither was in the building, and promised a call back. I told the secretary that I had been promised multiple delivery times that had not been fulfilled, and that I wanted the rifle or my money, and if my call was not returned promptly that I would call the police and pursue fraud charges.



Chet returned my call and stated my rifle OR my money would go out Monday. I stated I didn’t believe the rifle would be shipped, due to past behavior, and that I just wanted my money back. He said the girl who cuts the checks will mail it Monday. I stated that if I don’t receive it by Friday, December 10th, 2010, I will press fraud charges with the Goodyear PD. He told me to go ahead and do that now, and I responded that I would give him until Friday. He said again to go ahead file charges now, but this time in a more menacing tone, and then he hung up on me. I did not, at any time, raise my voice with these people, nor did I threaten them, I just stated my belief and what I would do if I didn't receive my money within a week.



I'm afraid that Chet wasn't just mouthing off with BS bravado when he told me to proceed with Fraud. I'm afraid, however, that if I file charges, at the preliminary hearing, the judge, as is commonplace, will tell Chet or his atty, to make restitution in the amount I paid, but that he has 6 months to pay, which he'd drag out to the end. Worst case scenario is that kind of delay, but still, 6 months is better than no money at all.”



----------------

So there you have it, folks. Unfortuantely, this type of complaint is pretty typical when dealing with Lancaster, and is just one more reason - of many - that doing business with Lancaster Arms is a really, really bad idea.

11 comments:

  1. I'm have the same problems with Chet and Lancaster Arms. Can anybody provide the name of an attorney in the Phoenix area that has represented people in cases against this crook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeltaElite lmt_7816@msn.comDecember 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM

    Hello, I am the ex-Lancaster Customer that wrote the post on Calguns.net under username DeltaElite. I do have an update. On December 2nd, 2010, as instructed by Chet, I did start filing complaints. I first filed with the BBB, primarily as a formality and to start the process and establish a record of the fraud. Second, I filed a complaint with the AZ Attorney General's office. On December 7th, 2010, Chet Durda called me and stated the check was cut and was to going to be mailed immediately. Today is the December 17, 2010, and I have yet to receive it. (I would have followed up sooner, but I had another pressing issue) As suggested, I called the Goodyear PD. They were extremely polite.

    If the Owner of this blog, and the above customer would be so kind as to contact me, I would be happy to share information. My email is lmt_7816@msn.com, please feel free to contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DeltaElite lmt_7816@msn.comDecember 21, 2010 at 6:58 AM

    If webmaster/author of this blog would contact me, I would greatly appreciate it. I am putting together fraud victim list to present to both local police and the U.S. Postmaster to show a pattern of Mail Fraud. Ever since Chet started taking only Cashier's Checks/Money Orders, and removed the Credit Card protections, he opened himself up to Mail Fraud charges with his deliberate lies to steal peoples' money. Please contact me at lmt_7816@msn.com. From there, I will link you directly to my personal email, and will put your story on the list. You will need to gather all pertinent documents (copies of mailing receipts, money order/cashier's check receipts, recorded conversations, written call logs, etc--anything you have documents the fraud Lancaster has perpetrated against you. There are agencies willing to help us, if we give them the ammunition they need. I know it's the Holidays, but wouldn't it be nice to have that $700, $800, $900 or more back from Chet to spend on the Holidays or a new gun from a LEGITIMATE manufacturer? (Arsenal, anyone???)

    Thanks to all in advance
    DeltaElite
    lmt_7816@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would encourage anyone experiencing similar problems with Lancaster Arms to contact Lieutenant Paul Marzocca with the Goodyear Police Department (623-882-7734). He is currently investigating several complaints, mine included.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally got my AK (3060B) yesterday (minus the magazine) after repeated calls to Chet in effect tying up their phone line for several days. I had been given 6 differnt ship dates, and not until I complained to the BBB and threatened in an Email that I would be going to the Police and Atty General did I get my rifle. Don't take no for an answer when asking to talk to Chet. Typically the receptionist (Courtney) will say he's not in but if you call back as soon as you hang up and continue that a few times she will put him on the phone. It got to the point where she would answer and I would just say "guess who?". I called today about the magazine but wont be holding my breath. Just glad to have something to show for the $600 check I sent over a month ago. Don't assume just because he gives you a UPS tracking # that your rifle will ship. I had a tracking number for over 2 weeks before mine shipped. The only advice I can give is just to pester them non-stop, and if you have time, call them repeatedly for hours. Good Luck and God Speed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Colin and I just found out my rifle is on the recall list. Seems that the people who did send thiers back still dont have them returned. Ive emailed last monday and gave them 3 days to respond. Then after no response i called them on Thursday, the receptionist than proceeded to tell me that i will get a call back on friday. Still no call and then i stumble onto this blog. Time for a fight I guess.

    Heres my FB profile if anyone needs to contact me.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1179415996

    ReplyDelete
  7. DeltaElite lmt_7816@msn.comJanuary 4, 2011 at 8:22 AM

    This is the most recent update to my story. Yesterday, after lengthy phone calls with the Goodyear PD, I received a cashier's check refund!!! People, CALL THE GOODYEAR PD! They are aware of the problem. I called Chet one last time, as per the officer's instruction, and left the message alerting him to the fact I had lodged complaints with BBB, AZ Atty Gen., FTC, US Post Master, and Goodyear PD. I was next going to call BATFE. (I dislike BATFE as much and the next man, but sometimes one needs to fight fire with fire.) The Goodyear PD contacted him, and voila! my money appeared. For more details, please email me at lmt_7816@msn.com. About the man with the recalled rifle--If you still have your rifle, find a competent gunsmith to fix the issue, if at all possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see that he has extended his "direct sales" until Jan. 14, 2011. Perhaps he needs to raise/steal some fresh cash after paying DeltaElite's refund.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same issue with Lancaster Arms.I ordered my rifle last June 2010 and send a payment. I was also told by Chet that my rifle will be shipped in a week. He has been telling me this for over a year now. I emailed them mutiple times, I called them and still he has not delivered my order. I have also contacted and filed complaints with the Arizona Attornet General.

    ReplyDelete
  10. chet is still takeing orders & money for guns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sent back a AK74 and Chet said he's scrapping it and will send a replacement....how long should I wait before going to small claims as discussed in your blog? I'm tired of no communications and waiting.

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome, and in fact encouraged, to leave your comments about experiences with Lancaster Arms. The only requirement is that you stick to facts, or well-documented opinions.

Followers

About Me

But quite willing to "help" Lancaster Arms fully understand why the way they run their business, is completely unacceptable.

Welcome to LancasterArmsSucks.blogspot.com

This site exist to help police a firearms manufacturer that has decided to run its business using questionable ethics. Too often, there is not enough complete, accurate information on the Internet about companies engaged in the manufature of firearms. It is my hope that this blog shall serve as a useful tool to help guide potential customers of Lancaster Arms to a fully-informed decision. As of the start date of this blog, many, many people feel as though Lancaster Arms does not run an honest business. We'll let the chips fall where they may...